REVIEW – Lately, I have been trying to get my hands on as many ~ 15″ monitors to test and review. I recently moved into a new home studio space, and I have a plan to utilize as many “good” small portable monitors as I can to meet most of my workflow needs. This time around I will be testing the Lepow Z1-Gamut 15.6” FHD Display. Let’s see if it is worth the time and energy!
What is it?
The Lepow Z1-Gamut 15.6” FHD Display (2020) is a portable monitor featuring an Improved Color Gamut with IPS 1080P HD resolution, and dual speakers.
What’s in the box
1 x Lepow Z1-Gamut 15.6” FHD Display
1 x Mini HDMI to HDMI cable
1 x Type C to Type C cable
1 x Type C to USB A cable (Power Supply)
1 x Smart Cover
1 x Screen Protector
1 x User Guide
Design and features
- Upgraded Color Gamut: With embedded quantum-dot enhancement film, Lepow Z1-Gamut upgrades display color gamut to 72% NTSC, indicating this new model can present a broader color spectrum and give viewers better visual enjoyment in videos and games. You will be no longer content with normal full HD after Lepow Z1-Gamut portable pc monitor. These USB portable monitors bring every frame alive and restore true colors for you.
- 15.6-inch FHD 1080P IPS Screen: Lepow portable computer monitors adopt 15.6’’ 1920*1080 screens to create stunning image quality and immersive visual enjoyment for their users. Advanced IPS panel ensures their outstanding performance in response time, smoothness, and eye protection. A 178° visual angle realizes quality viewing even several people share the screen at the same time.
- Slim, light-weight, and portable: 0.34-inch thickness and 1.7lb weight make Lepow portable laptop monitor easily accommodate to every suitcase and backpack and stress-free when you are holding it for a long time. They are truly portable computer monitors for travelers, students, gamers, engineers, and everyone.
- Universal Compatibility: With a full-function Type-C port and an HDMI port, Lepow Z1-Gamut portable monitors for laptop work with almost every computer, laptop, and tablet. They can easily connect smartphones, Switch, PS3, PS4, and Xbox. Let these friendly portable displays extend your electronic devices every time and everywhere.
- All Accessories Equipped: To be ready-to-use right out of the box, Z1-Gamut monitors come with three cables (Type C-Type C/mini HDMI-HDMI/Type C-USB A), a two-pronged plug, a smart cover, and a screen protector. To strengthen audio stimulation, every monitor is equipped with two built-in speakers.
- Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
- Brightness: 320cd/m²
- Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
- Visual Angle: 85°/85°MinV：85°/85°Min
- Color Temperature: 6800K
- Display Color: 16.7M
- Resolution: 1920*1080
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9/ 4:3
- Panel Type: IPS
- Screen Size: 15.6 inch
- Visual Area: 344.16*194.59mm
- Net Weight: 1.7 lbs
- Input Interface: Mini HD (Video signal), Type C full function (Video data, Power supply ISDN), Type C power supply
This monitor comes with a smart cover case that works for both standing and storing. The screen has an acceptable bezel around it.
The controls and ports are on the left and right sides. See illustrations below.
Having reviewed several similar monitors, I had an idea what to expect when I opened the box. However, I was impressed by how well this one was packaged and by the simple fact that a case (magnetic) was included which seems to be an issue with several other brands. The case allows you to position the monitor at more than one angle.
I connected this monitor, attached the magnetic case, powered it on, and it immediately connected and in the correct sequence without any need for me to interact with my Windows OS. This was likely because a previous monitor was connected to my system in this position, but nevertheless, it was a smooth and pleasant process. Once turned on, I was very happy with the resolution and after viewing numerous photos and videos, I remain impressed.
The OSD menu that is accessed via the button on the right side provides access to the usual settings (This Roll Key button is also the volume control):
The following video just gives a basic view of the playback via a YouTube aquarium video. Since I recorded it with my smartphone camera, it is not a 100% accurate depiction but should provide a good reference point.
I performed a 13 part benchmark test using EIZO Monitor Test and the results were flawless. For reference, the following is a list of the tests that were performed:
This monitor has built-in speakers that sound much like all the similar monitors that I have tried, and are not really great for regular use other than in a very quiet environment.
This monitor is also designed to be connected to smartphones with a USB-C port. None of the 3 Android phones that I tried actually worked. According to Lepow’s user manual, there is a specific list:
What I like
- The build quality
- The great display
- The connectivity
- The Plug-n-Play capability
- The portability
What I’d change
- Nothing I can think of at this time
This Lepow Z1-Gamut 15.6” FHD Display is one of the nicest of its type that I have reviewed. The colors are great, the screen is very “easy” on the eyes, and as I watch videos they look quite stunning. Setup was the simplest out of all of the brands I have tested, with none of the quirks that I experienced. It is just a great addition to my work process, and I give it a well done and two thumbs up!!
Where to buy: Amazon
Source: The sample for this review was provided by Lepow.
Support The Gadgeteer:
We may earn a small affiliate commission from purchases made from buying through links on our site. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more.