The new Motorola Edge S is the first phone with the new Qualcomm SD870 5G chipset. However, it is only on sale in China at present.
The Motorola Edge S looks pretty good on paper and should provide the specs that people spending around A$1000 want.
- 6.7” 90Hz 2520×1080, 409ppi, 21:9 with 560nits HDR10
- Qualcomm SD870 and 6/8GB ‘Turbo’ LPDDR5 RAM, 128/256GB UFS3.1 and up to 1TB microSD
- X55 5G modem
- Dual 16 main and 8MP ultrawide selfies
- Four rear cameras – 64+16+2+ToF and dual-LED flash
- Wi-FI 6, BT 5, NFC and dual GPS
- 5000 mAh battery and 20W charge (5V/3A and 9V/2.22A)
- 3.5mm combo audio
- 168.4 x 74 x 9.7mm x215g, IP52
While it is called an ‘Edge’, it has lost the edgy wraparound of the original Edge (review here)
But it is not A$1000.
It sells from CNY 1,999 to 2,799 (A$400-$550) and allowing for exchange rate hedging and GST that means a flagship-class SD870 processor for a whole lot less than we expected.