As we already reported, yesterday the first smartphone with a sub-screen front camera went on sale in various countries around the world, which is named ZTE Axon 20 5G.
Our colleagues at The Verge have carried out a test of the ZTE Axon 20 front camera, comparing it to the selfie camera of the Google Pixel 5 smartphone.
Obviously, the photos taken with the front camera of the ZTE Axon 20 turned out to be much worse in quality. The detail and clarity of the images leave much to be desired. For selfie lovers, the ZTE Axon 20 is definitely not suitable. In terms of image quality, the ZTE Axon 20 resembles smartphones that came out many years ago.
The ZTE Axon 20 5G features a Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G SoC, a 6.92-inch Full HD + (2460 x 1080 pixels) OLED screen with an integrated fingerprint reader, a 32MP front camera, and a 64+8+2+2 main camera sensors.
The battery has a capacity of 4220 mAh and supports 30W fast charging. The smartphone runs MiFlavor 10.5 based on the Android 10 operating system.
ZTE AXON 20 5G specifications
- 6.92-inch (2460 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ OLED 20.5:9 display, 90Hz refresh rate, 100% DCI-P3 color gamut
- Octa Core (1 x 2.4GHz + 1 x 2.2GHz + 6 x 1.8GHz Kryo 475 CPUs) Snapdragon 765G 7nm EUV Mobile Platform with Adreno 620 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB (UFS 2.1), expandable memory up to 2TB
- Android 10 with MiFlavor 10.5
- Dual SIM
- 64MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, LED flash, 8MP 119° Ultra Wide Lens with f/2.2 aperture, 2MP macro and 2MP depth sensor with f/2.4 aperture
- 32MP under-screen front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 172.1×77.9×7.98mm; Weight: 198g
- USB Type-C audio, DTS:X Ultra
- 5G SA/ NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, USB Type-C, NFC
- 4220mAh (typical) / 4120mAh (minimum) battery with 30W fast charging, Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+
The device was limited to the Chinese market, but today it’s reaching Global customers. The company will be pushing the first sales through invitation codes obtainable via ZTE’s New Vision Club as well as the brand’s official social media channels. The invitation structure brings me back some memories from another company… Well, ZTE is offering a free pair of ZTE TWS LiveBuds to the first adopters of the new smartphone.
The pricing for the ZTE Axon 20 5G is set at $449/€449/£419 with availability in all 28 EU countries. It also is available in the UK, South-Korea, Ukraine, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and South Africa. You can pick up any color as long as it is black. For a device that innovates with an in-display camera, the pricing isn’t as bad. Unfortunately, the technology still has a lot to mature as the first selfie samples are nothing beyond average. The situation is even worse when it comes to video recording.