The next big iOS update is here.
Apple today released iOS 14.2 to the iPhone and iPadOS 14.2 for the iPad. This update is rolling out over the air and can be installed by going into Settings > General > Software Update on your device.
The upgrade to iOS 14.2 includes several new features and bug fixes. One of the most notable additions is the arrival of more than 100 new emoji, including a ninja, bubble tea, pinched fingers gesture, a tamale, a transgender flag, a black cat, and an accordion.
Also included with iOS 14.2 is a new Shazam Music Recognition feature. With it, you can open Control Center and tap the Shazam button to quickly identify the song that’s currently playing, including music that’s playing on your phone. This enables you to quickly identify a song without opening a Shazam app or summoning Siri.
iOS 14.2 also brings an updated Now Playing widget to Control Center that’ll show your recently played albums when no music is currently playing. There are eight new wallpapers with light and dark mode versions, too, plus optimized battery charging for AirPods that’ll slow the rate of battery aging by reducing the time that your AirPods spend fully charged.
The iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max can use Magnifier and their LiDAR sensor to detect people nearby and report their distance, and ther are new AirPlay controls to more easily beam music across multiple AirPlay 2 devices throughout your home.
Meanwhile, owners of the new iPad Air are getting new camera features like Scene Detection to identify objects within a scene and automatically improve the photo plus Auto FPS to reduce frame rate when recording video in low light to optimize file size.
Also released today is an update to watchOS 7.1. This update adds the ability to be notified when your headphone audio level could impact your hearing and resolves an issue that prevented some users from unlocking their Mac with their Apple Watch.
While you wait for your iOS 14.2, iPadOS 14.2, or watchOS 7.1 update to install, here’s Apple’s full changelog for the iOS 14.2 update:
iOS 14.2 includes the following improvements for your iPhone:
- Over 100 new emoji, including animals, food, faces, household objects, musical instruments, gender-inclusive emoji, and more
- Eight new wallpapers in both light and dark mode versions
- Magnifier can detect people nearby, and report their distance using the LiDAR sensor included in iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Support for iPhone 12 Leather Sleeve with MagSafe
- Optimized battery charging for AirPods to slow the rate of battery aging by reducing the time your AirPods spends fully charged
- Headphone audio level notifications to alert you when audio level could impact your hearing
- New AirPlay controls to stream entertainment throughout your home
- Intercom support with HomePod and HomePod mini using iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, and CarPlay
- Ability to connect HomePod to Apple TV 4K for stereo, surround sound, and Dolby Atmos audio
- Option to provide statistics about Exposure Notifications, without identifying you, to participating Public Health Authorities
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Apps could be out of order on the Home Screen dock
- Camera viewfinder may appear black when launched
- The keyboard on the Lock Screen could miss touches when trying to enter the passcode
- Reminders could default to times in the past
- Photos widget may not display content
- Weather widget could display the high temperature in Celsius when set to Fahrenheit
- Next-hour precipitation chart description in Weather could incorrectly indicate when precipitation stops
- Voice Memos recordings are interrupted by incoming calls
- The screen could be black during Netflix video playback
- Apple Cash could fail to send or receive money when asked via Siri
- Apple Watch app may unexpectedly close when opened
- Workout GPS routes or Health data are prevented from syncing between Apple Watch and iPhone for some users
- Audio is incorrectly labeled as “Not Playing” in the CarPlay Dashboard
- Devices could be prevented from charging wirelessly
- Exposure Notifications is disabled when restoring iPhone from iCloud Backup or transferring data to a new iPhone using iPhone Migration