The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: San Mateo, California
We are looking for a talented and broadly-experienced Art Director to join our San Mateo studio. As the first Art Director for this studio, this person will build an art team from the ground up, and own the art style and quality of an original game IP.
This role is a full-time, permanent position in our San Mateo studio. Currently, our San Mateo team is working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic. We’ll continue to follow local government guidelines to keep our team safe. However, this position will not be remote in the long term. Once we’re able to return to normal work conditions, this role will be onsite in San Mateo.
- Own the art style and art quality of a new original game IP
- Establish a high quality bar for visuals, and hold the team accountable for hitting it
- Regulate stylistic consistency across all art content
- Create and maintain a style guide for the game
- Work with the recruiting team to build out a new art team
- Manage the career development and performance of all artists in the San Mateo studio.
- Ensure content is created with gameplay requirements and technical specifications in mind, to ensure that art, design and technology converge to create the best possible product.
- Provide feedback on art content as it’s produced.
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in game development, with at least 5 of those years in Art Direction.
- The ability to work through people and inspire others to excel.
- A keen eye for visuals, understanding what good looks like in terms of composition, palette, silhouette, and motion.
- An understanding of the importance of visual and thematic consistency, and how to achieve it.
- Working knowledge of Maya or equivalent 3D software
- An affinity and knowledge of the technical side of game art
- Experience building, and managing, teams
- The ability to thrive in and promote a culture of collaboration and transparency
- Good visual, written & verbal communication skills
- The ability to work and lead remotely, as the studio will be remote until COVID-19 conditions change
- Experience in multiple facets of game development: concept art, modeling, sculpting, animation, graphic design, illustration, VFX, tech art
- Experience working with Agile
- Experience succeeding in a matrix organizational structure
- Exposure to long term studio or team growth, from small to large
Interested? Apply now.
Whether you’re just starting out, looking for something new, or just seeing what’s out there, the Gamasutra Job Board is the place where game developers move ahead in their careers.
Gamasutra’s Job Board is the most diverse, most active, and most established board of its kind in the video game industry, serving companies of all sizes, from indie to triple-A.
Looking for a new job? Get started here. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.