Steam is by far the preferred platform the place customers should purchase video games and play them with their associates. Nonetheless, most of those video games are massive, which signifies that any time you purchase and obtain a recreation, you’ll want to attend for a very good whereas for it to obtain, even with a quick web connection. It’s just about the identical problem for customers who’ve a large Steam library, and wish to transfer it to a different PC. Allow us to see how you can transfer Steam video games to a different drive with out redownloading.
Whether or not you’ve purchased a brand new PC, or simply need your video games to be accessible on all of your computer systems at residence, there’s a strategy to switch Steam video games to a different PC. There’s truly multiple, so let’s check out them.
Transfer Steam Video games to One other Drive
Step 1: Relocating Steam information
The primary and the only one by far is to repeat the video games utilizing an exterior onerous drive or a big sufficient flash drive. Observe that this will take a while, relying on what medium you’re utilizing to repeat the information out of your authentic PC to the opposite one.
Your Steam information are all discovered within the C: drive, underneath Program Information, after which Steam, by default. Until you’ve chosen one other place to retailer your Steam information and video games, that is the place you’ll discover them. The sport information themselves are discovered within the SteamApps folder, however you’ll additionally want the Userdata folder, too.
1. Choose these two folders, and replica them to your exterior media.
2. Whereas the information are copying, you may set up Steam in your different PC. Don’t use your username and password to go online, we’ll do that later. When the information are performed copying, join your exterior media to your different PC.
3. At this level, you’ll wish to copy over the information out of your exterior drive, to your different PC’s Steam folder. Until you’ve modified it, it ought to be on the default location – C:Program FilesSteam.
4. Paste the information there, and if Home windows asks you to merge the present information and folders, accomplish that. This may even take some time, so let the copying process end.
5. As soon as the whole lot is completed, go online together with your Steam username and password. Since many of the information in your video games are already there, the one factor that you just’ll want to attend is for Steam to do some minor updates. This shouldn’t take lengthy, and also you’ll have your video games up and working!
What to do for those who encounter an error?
Now, if this doesn’t work, there are two extra issues to attempt.
One in all them is to manually begin the sport you simply copied, through the .exe file. This received’t instantly launch the sport. As a substitute, it is going to open the Steam app, ask you to log in, after which replace itself with any information you could have missed throughout shifting. Afterward, you’ll be capable of play the sport and it is going to be in your Steam library in your different PC.
The opposite factor is to trick Steam into putting in it once more. If, when you go surfing, your outdated video games aren’t there, attempt trying to find them within the Steam market. The set up has a “Discovering present information for …” stage, the place it searches for any present information so as to not obtain them once more. When this occurs, it is going to discover the information you’ve got copied, and run the sport.
Oh, and one last item right here. The save recreation information in your video games are stored in your Paperwork folder, so be sure to copy that as nicely if you wish to proceed enjoying the place you left off. This additionally applies for configuration information, customized content material multiplayer video games use, skins, textures and customized maps.
When you’ve got an issue backing up the information, you need to use laptop switch software program like easeus.
Step 2: Backing up recreation information
Reality be informed,
the strategy above is extra of a workaround. It’s formally supported by Steam,
however there are some video games that merely refuse to work, and that is extra of the
builders’ fault, as a substitute of Steam. Steam’s Backup characteristic will compress all
of your information for the sport, or video games, and allow you to copy them to a different PC through
an exterior drive.
1. If you begin Steam in your preliminary PC, head to your Library part. Discover the sport you wish to transfer, and right-click its title.
2. Select “Backup recreation information…”, that is the place you’ll be capable of select some other video games you’d wish to again up. Be sure to have loads of room in your exterior drive for all of the video games you’re copying.
3. Select “Subsequent”, and browse to the folder the place you need your backup information to be created. By default, that is C:Program FilesSteamBackups, however you may simply change it to one thing higher.
4. Click on “Subsequent” once more, and choose the file title.
5. You’ll additionally have to select the File dimension for the exterior media you’ll be utilizing.
6. Click on ”Subsequent” one final time, and the backup course of begins. Give it a while – the extra video games you’ve got, the longer it is going to take. As soon as it’s performed, it offers you the choice to open the backup folder, the place all of the information are. That is what you’ll wish to copy to your exterior media, so go and seize it.
7. When you’re performed copying the information, transfer them to your different PC. You don’t need to put them within the Steam folder, however be sure to know the place they’re.
8. Launch Steam on the opposite PC, and go online together with your account.
9. When you’re logged in, click on on Steam, within the higher left nook. You must see a button that claims “Backup and restore video games”, click on it.
10. Select “Restore a earlier backup”, and browse to the place you copied the information in your video games earlier.
11. Comply with the directions of the restore wizard, and you need to have your video games moved to a different PC very quickly.
One factor to notice right here as nicely. There are many video games that resort to third-party installers or downloaders, and these might not work with the backup characteristic. Solely video games that you just obtain, set up and replace fully through Steam are suitable with this technique, so use it with a grain of salt. Additionally, the backups that you just create don’t embody your saved video games, in addition to any customized configuration information or customized multiplayer maps. If you wish to again these up too, observe the steps under.
- Head to your Steam listing.
- Beneath SteamApps, open the
“widespread” folder, and the folder of the sport whose information you’re attempting to repeat.
- Copy the information throughout the
folders under, to an exterior media:
- /cfg/ comprises your whole
- /downloads/ comprises any
further customized content material that multiplayer video games might use
- /maps/ has any downloaded maps,
comparable to ones utilized by multiplayer video games
- /supplies/ is the place you’ll
discover your skins, in addition to textures
- /SAVE/ is perhaps probably the most
vital folder – it comprises your whole saved video games in your single participant
- Paste the information you copied to
their corresponding folders in your new PC – this could offer you your whole saved
information and different recreation property again.
Despite the fact that at
one level shifting your video games to a brand new PC was a tough job, it’s now a lot
easier due to the 2 strategies talked about above. We hope to have helped, and
now you can take pleasure in your video games on one other PC!